One of the biggest complaints in the freight industry is a company that over promises and under delivers. We hear this from new BlueGrace customers as the reason they are leaving their current 3PL. Of course they want to make sure that working with BlueGrace Logistics will not lead them to the same complaints. The old adage is something that sounds too good to be true typically is. When reviewing 3PLs and carrier partners you will want to find if they will be able to do what they say.
The old adage is something that sounds too good to be true typically is.
Here are a few key pointers to see who it is you will be dealing with.
- Does the 3PL or carrier serve other businesses in your vertical market?
- TIP: Ask for a testimonial, case study, or reference.
- What is the size of the 3PL or carrier and are they in good credit standing?
- NOTE: This can determine if your new partner will be in it for the long haul with you or not.
- How long has the 3PL or carrier been in business?
- How many employees do they have?
- What is their business structure?
- How will they support your account?
Request a proposal of services and schedule quarterly business reviews with your new provider. In this report your 3PL or carrier partner should be able tell you how they are performing on key metrics and services rendered in the proposal. If you do not have key performance indicators for transportation other than best rates, the 3PL or carrier should be able to add them. Your personalized KPI’s should be developed in the on boarding process with any of the 3PL or carrier you choose. These KPI’s look deeper than just rates and allow you to save money elsewhere in your transportation management chain.
The last thing a business wants to feel is ripped off when choosing a transportation partner and worse leave their freight undelivered. If you have any questions about anything do not hesitate to reach out to BlueGrace Logistics today we would be glad to answer all the questions listed above.